Thursday, December 12, 2013

Bryant Hewitt Love and its Deeper well.

Love of a Friend Proverbs 17:17 “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.” I have a close, special friend of mine who is a man and I am not ashamed to tell him that I love him. I love him more than a brother. This man is honest enough to tell me the truth, even when he knows it hurts and he is open enough to hear a friends rebuke. King David and Jonathan had a love like this as described in 1 Samuel 18:1 “As soon as he had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.” What a precious thing. Their souls were knit together…they were made of the same fabric, so to speak. Jonathan loved David “as his own soul” which reminds me of Jesus’ second commandment of the two greatest…to love your neighbor as yourself. This was repeated later in 1 Samuel 20:17 when “Jonathan had David reaffirm his oath out of love for him, because he loved him as he loved himself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment