Friday, March 8, 2013

Bryant Hewitt With Farewell Friday. On HHWN

Farewell Friday With HHWN Enjoying A Healthy Lifestyle with Bryant and Anita Hewitt Friday March 8, 2013 Food To Chew On Friday – Abundant Living John 10:10 (NKJV) The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. Thought For The Day: I will claim the four “P’s” of power today: Power, Protection, Provision, Possession On the rain “Farewell Friday,” we are saying farewell to the bad eating habits, the way we look at foods, fried and fast foods…. They are all unhealthy for us!!! And we are replacing it with fresh veggies, chicken, fish, and turkey and you can even have your red meats… it is how you cook it, by grilling, steaming, broiling your foods and it will still have that flavor that you like just without the calories…. You can even use low sodium broth, wine, or even water….just tapping into your creative side there is no limits in the kitchen… just have fun cooking up some healthy ideas….. Happy Cooking with HHWN J Falls In The Elderly Falls in the elderly population are in part due to age-related decline in muscle strength and joint range of motion. Exercises like the clock reach, which add to lower and upper body strength and flexibility, will help in reducing the risk of falls. Below I have made a great balance video that is fun and easy to do. All you need is a chair, comfortable loose fitting clothing, and a pair of smooth bottom shoes to wear so you won't catch your feet. Read on then give it a try. In this exercise we are using the arm and head to destabilize our center of gravity. With our arm extended and positioned to the side and to the rear, we must compensate by altering our ankle strategy on order to not buckle at the knees. This will come in handy during the day when we reach over the stove, up to shelves or when shopping at the supermarket. To decrease the incidence of falls in the elderly we must begin by working on our leg strength, especially at the ankles and hips. This way we can improve our ability to reach to changes in our environment quickly and efficiently. We need to address falls in the elderly daily with a strengthening and conditioning program not only for our legs but also torso, back and neck. Try this exercise below and see how your balance and upper body coordination are fairing. You can do it! The 7 Worst Training Mistakes I’ve Ever Made… 3. I Did a Hard Rotational Stretch as a Warm-Up This was one of the most painful things I’ve ever done in the gym, and not in a good way. I was warming up on the incline barbell bench press and decided I need to loosen up my lower back and core. While sitting on the seat (lower body basically anchored in place), I turned my upper body, gripped the bench and pulled my torso around…until I heard a loud “POP” and my lower back spammed. I had just blown out a section of my quadrates labarum, which is a small muscle that is just to one side of the spinal column. It was like getting stabbed in the back with a hot fireplace poker. I could hardly move…and I still had to walk home from the gym! Instead of 10 minutes, it took me almost an hour, and I had to wear a weight belt cinched up in order to not collapse from the pain (I had to wear it to sleep that night, too). To this very day, when I get lean enough, you can still see three little round “buttons” where the muscle detached from the bone and bunched up. I’m VERY lucky in that it didn’t completely destroy my ability to train my lower back…they were just small pops, but man, did they hurt. The Lesson: Don’t do hard stretching as a warm-up. Use general movements to get the muscles warm and the blood flowing, progressing to more specific movements that target the exercise you’re going to be working with first. You can also include some mobility work in your warm-up. Just don’t do hard stretching when your muscles aren’t warm or you might just pay the price! A Healthy Menu For Friday Have a cup of cooked oatmeal topped with 1/2 cup of skim milk, 2 tbsp. of raisins and 1 tsp. of brown sugar. For lunch, stir 1/4 cup of salsa into 1 cup of nonfat, plain Greek yogurt. Use as a dip for one serving of baked tortilla chips, 1 cup carrot sticks and a sliced red pepper. At dinner, make a mock pizza with a whole-wheat English muffin, 1/4 cup of marinara sauce and 1 1/2 oz. of part-skim mozzarella cheese. Toss a large green salad on the side with low-calorie dressing. Snacks for this day are 3 cups of air-popped popcorn topped with 1 tbsp. of shredded Parmesan cheese and a glass of red wine or a whole apple. http://anitahewitt.blogspot.com/2013/03/food-for-soul-ev-anita-hewitt-3813.html

No comments:

Post a Comment